Friday, February 8, 2008

Practicum was Pretty Cool

Yesterday, for my Multi Cultural class, I attented a self-contained class of special needs kids for my student observation for an hour. There were 14, 3rd - 5th graders who were either autistic, or had learning disabilities, or were mildly mentally retarded. They were going to learn how to make salsa. Most of them could read at 2nd -3rd grade level, it was really neat to see her style of teaching and to watch the kids make salsa. I have 5 more observations, or events to go to for my two education classes. My other class is The Exceptional Learner which is about students with special needs, I'm thinking about specializing in special needs, most general education classes have some special needs students in them, anywhere from students who are gifted, to the students who have ADD/ADHD. It will help to prepare me more fully for the variety of students I will have or even if I decide to take a class of special needs kids. The teacher had 2 aides and only 14 students. In some ways it might even be easier than a regular classroom of 30+ students and no helpers. When I drove for the special needs kids, I had a monitor and only about 4-5 kids, while the other drivers had no help and 40+ wild, rude and rowdy teenagers. I LOVED my route.
Kirk , Ashley and Regen are heading up to Utah the weekend of the 23rd this month so Ashley can get the car from Graham and see him before he heads off to Washington for two more months of training. He will have been in Utah a month when Ashley sees him, he drove up so he could have his own transportation, but will fly to Washington. He will come back to Arizona for a short while before heading to Afghanistan. Ashley will stay at a family that Graham has been hanging out with. The husband from that family is in Graham's unit and they invite him over for dinner and games all the time. Kirk will stay at his brother, Jeff's house. They will drive back on Tuesday the 26th, I think.
The kids are all still coughing with runny noses, but all the adults are well again. Hopefully everyone is doing well. Love you all, Debbie

2 comments:

pkabow said...

I was so excited to see that you had a new post. I am obsessed with blogs. I will add to mine when I finish putting about 1000 photos into winkflash.com so I can get my order in before the 6 cents/print special expires on Feb. 14th. My photos have been "stuck" in my computer since 2005. Prints are usually 25 cents each and 19 cents on sale!
I think you would make a fantastic special ed teacher. Those kids need teachers and especially one like you. I am reading a book about an autistic guy called The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. She won the Nebula Award for the best novel when it was published. So when you have spare time it is a great book.
I feel sad that Ashley has to say goodbye to Graham so soon after they got married and with a new baby too. She is lucky to have such a great support system with all of you.
Love to you all. Mom

Michelle Lee said...

That's great that you enjoyed your practicum experience. I did too when I had mine. I agree with mom that you would make an excellent special education teacher. I think it would be easier than teaching a large class with no help. However, there is a lot of paperwork that goes along with special ed. IEP's. You will find out more about it as you go along. Being a teacher is so much fun in the beginning. Sometimes you have good experiences and sometimes you have challenging experiences. But it is a very rewarding job. Keep up the good work and stay positive. Love, Shelly and the twins.