Thursday, July 24, 2008

Oregon Reunion--Day Five

We probably picked the most beautiful day to go to Cape Meares to see the Lighthouse and what we all now call the Elephant Tree. Before that, there was this scenic pull out and as you can see, its just breathtaking. Here is Regen looking so adorable, I can't help taking pictures of her...it's a grandma thing. Kirk, Ashley, Regen, Me and Alanna.
Rhiannon (my sister Tiffany's oldest) with Regen and Ashley.
Ryan and Jazmine
My sister Erica and her family.
Alanna
Ashley and RegenWe finally made it to Cape Meares, it's about an hour and a half south of Warrenton.Last time we visited I walked down to the lighthouse, this time I didn't because of my knee and hip, so Alanna and Ashley walked down. Erica took this picture, Alanna is with her cousins Olivia, Jazmine and Anna and her uncle Vince.Here is the lighthouse, it's one of the shortest on the Oregon Coast at about 48 ft. tall.There are white bird droppings all around the cliffs, we were able to look through telescopes and I've added the signs below so I could remember the types of birds. I could have added twenty more pictures of the same, I never tire at looking at the ocean.
This was taken from a little lookout point just around the cliff that I found when I walked up the trail to see the infamous elephant tree.


Upon closer listening, I hear the wind more than the ocean, but that's okay, now if there were just a way to bottle that ocean smell.....hmmmm.

Here is the elephant tree that everyone has named. Below is a description of how this tree came to be.





I believe this is the same wild rose that grows in Alaska.
Same with the Queens Anne Lace, I'm a little homesick.
Then it was off to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, where they have a fun tour and the best "squeaky cheese"(cheese curds) and ice cream.

They also have a food court and a really cute souvenir shop. A table of some of the girl cousins... Stephanie and Jessica must have been shopping with Lisa.Regen had had enough, that was a long day.
As we headed home we drove through one of my favorite town, Garibaldi. This is where my mother grew up and where I spent a few summers visiting my Grandma and aunts and uncles and cousins. If you look closely you can see the G on the mountain near the left of the picture. Grandma once told me there were ice skaters on the G, I wished I could go and see them. Later I found out she was teasing me.
Anna and Jazmine were our car mates during the reunion, we loved having them, they are so much fun.We finished that day with another trip to the beach with another bon fire and of course....smores!!!

3 comments:

pkabow said...

Your pictures are beautiful! I also love the ocean and am so glad to be back where I can smell and hear the ocean every day. Alaska reminded me of Oregon. We even have the same fireweed growing along the highway. The small towns in Alaska reminded me of Oregon too. I am so glad to be out of a big city. I am happy that you were able to see and learn to know my mother and spend time with her in Garibaldi. She visited us in Las Vegas before she died but most of the kids were too young to remember her. I read all your blogs but got so bogged down and depressed I didn't make comments on anybodies blogs for awhile. Depression goes along with arthritis and diabetes and with the frustration of not being able to be as independent as I used to be.

Jennifer said...

Debbie-your posts are so neat! You totally have an eye for photography just like Mom. I loved all your scenic photos and I stole a bunch of the family ones too because I decided that just cause I wasnt there doesnt mean I cant have them to remember everyone by. I kind of missed out and/or forgot to take candid photos of everyone. I suppose that happens when youre on vacation. It is hard to take pictures all the time-sometimes you just want to live in the moment but, I am glad everyone took some so now we can all share in the goodies! Love, Jenn

Michelle Lee said...

So pretty...I love all your photos!!! The scenery of the Oregon Coast is just awesome. I didn't walk to the Octupus tree because I was tired from walking to the lighthouse. I'm glad you took so many nature pics. I'm helping myself to them for my collection of photos. Thanks!!